HunterMaclean’s strategic alliance with Hughes Public Affairs allows the Firm to respond comprehensively to clients with complex matters involving legal, legislative, and governmental issues. Pairing the governmental affairs expertise of Hughes Public Affairs with HunterMaclean’s extensive legal capabilities provides clients with a comprehensive approach achieving business and strategic objectives in Georgia.
Hughes Public Affairs is an independent firm with a long and effective track record of advancing client interests, including:
- Advocacy with the Georgia legislature and the executive branch
- Federal lobbying of the Georgia congressional delegation
- Drafting of local or state legislation
- Advancing strategic governmental affairs objectives
- Lobbying local city councils, county commissions, and school boards
- Working closely with government staff at the local, state, and federal levels
- Pursuing state government appropriations
- Developing and implementing government affairs goals, objectives, and strategies
- Assessing political climate relative to specific issues
- Assisting with pursuit of economic development incentives
- Connecting clients with public officials
- Training clients in advocacy skills, methods, and procedures
- Preparing clients for legislative and regulatory testimony
- Monitoring and reporting on legislative and regulatory activity
- Providing analysis and guidance related to campaigns and elections
Lee began his career at the State Capitol in 1986 as a bill reader and data clerk, learning the legislative process from the inside. In 1989 he joined State Senator Pierre Howard’s campaign for Lieutenant Governor, handling a wide range of duties and traveling the state with the candidate. After the candidate emerged victorious from a field of fifteen candidates, Lee was named to the Lt. Governor’s staff where he helped to manage the day-to-day operation of the Senate as well as coordinate his environmental legislation.
In 1993, Lee was named Regional Public Affairs Manager for what is now Georgia-Pacific Corporation. Lee handled local and state government affairs in eight eastern states, including Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. Working in state and local government affairs, Lee successfully focused on tax relief and tax incentive initiatives, employment law, and environmental policy. He is a 1998 graduate of Leadership Georgia and was named to Georgia Trend magazine’s prestigious 40 Under 40 list in the year 2000.
After almost ten years with the company, Lee left Georgia-Pacific in 2003 to create Hughes Public Affairs. After twenty years of working with state and local governments in various roles, Lee maintains his reputation as a resourceful, effective, and trustworthy individual who is extremely familiar with the legislative process in Georgia.
Amy Haywood Hughes
In July of 2007, Amy and Lee Hughes joined together to form the partnership of Hughes Public Affairs, combining their joint interests in sound governmental policy and their decades of experience working with Georgia government.
Before moving to Savannah in 1994, Amy worked for a number of years at the State Capitol as a lobbyist, a reporter, and Assistant Press Secretary to Lt. Governor Pierre Howard.
Amy served as the Vice President of Existing Industry and Government Affairs for the Savannah Area Chamber of Commerce. At the Chamber, she handled legislative advocacy for the business community and served as Executive Director of the Savannah Area Manufacturers Council. She was also a former statewide Chairperson of Georgians for Manufacturing.
Amy served as Vice President of Government Affairs for Memorial Health, serving as the voice of Memorial Health to local, state, and federal elected officials and providing them with information to make informed decisions about legislative and regulatory health care issues.
Georgia Trend magazine named Amy as one of Georgia’s 40 Under 40 Best and Brightest Georgians in 2007. Amy was named one of Savannah’s 40 Under 40 by the Business Report and Journal, and she participated in both Leadership Georgia and Leadership Savannah.